6.06.2011

3 States

Progress!

I am going to make a concerted effort to finish the states by the end of the summer.
Here's an update:

...and that's a ukulele for scale.


In other news: I got a video camera, and have started "sketching" with it.
Other currant projects and tinkerings include:
shoes made from recycled tire/inner tubes
spinning thread from cat fur

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Shingelo said...

3rica,
Wow! I get so excited when I find other hairworkers! (You know that I am the same person from both the Stella and Modern Hairwork blogs, right?) I am currently playing around with the Victorian techniques used for making the hair jewelry (palette work) in an effort to incorporate the hair into my jewelry business. They have been somewhat separate so far, but I think I will be able to integrate them soon. How did you learn the needle lace technique?
Thanks for getting in touch!
Jenn
stellasavestheday@gmail.com

July 1, 2011 at 9:58 AM  
Blogger 3rica said...

Jenn,
Your work was encouraging for me to see back in 2008, when I found your Modern Hairwork blog. The series referencing bunkers is my favorite--such a good use for such a human material!

I got interested in needle-lace when still at art school, and taught myself the basics using library books (thanks, RISD library for having excellent resources!) But.. couldn't find thin enough threads to work on the scale that the Victorians did. The idea to use hair occurred; I made a tiny sample piece, and it worked!!
Also: you can use this technique to do anything figurative, pretty much, and it gives you a nice tonal range, using different stitches. Let me know how it goes if you ever try it.

Thanks for your interest
3rica

July 23, 2011 at 10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home