1.27.2011

More Hair Lace Photos

Here are some more photos of some pieces of human hair lace I have made. The photos were taken by Blue Rider Design of Portland, Oregon. They did a beautiful job--these things are so detailed that they are hard to photograph!

This one is a detail shot of the portrait I shared in a previous post. You can see how the netting is constructed one hair at a time. The outline is several hair-widths across, being made of 4-6 strands,
wrapped around with another:


This is a "handkerchief" made from my hair and my former girlfriend's hair.The reference is to Victorian wedding handkerchiefs, meant to collect a bride's tears.It is a comment on how frustratingly improbable same-sex marriage seemed at the time I was constructing it. Ironically, while I was working on it Vermont (my home state) legalized gay marriage! I'm no longer in a same-sex relationship, but I still think about this piece quite a bit:


...And a couple of detail shots of the handkerchief. The center is pretty insubstantial--not very good for tear-collection purposes! The edges are more detailed. Dimensions when stretched flat are about 12"x12". It took me about 40 hours to make:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home