8.02.2011

Hair Lace Map !

Here it is.
 The states are done, having been constructed one hair at a time. Now I will do the background and figure out how to stretch it over glass or acrylic, so that I can keep adding people's hair to it, potentially forever! Once I have it safely on the translucent backing, the fun part begins: adding people's hair! 
Feel free to pass this image around--in fact, please do! I'd appreciate some feedback, so questions and comments are most welcome.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Gitte Jonsdatter said...

Does the hair pattern convey any demographic information? Could be interesting to see for example more hairy coasts and big cities, bald spots for depopulated areas.

August 4, 2011 at 11:06 AM  
Blogger 3rica said...

My mathematician-boyfriend has been making noise about this for some time now..

So far it is just aesthetic, but as I receive and incorporate other people's hair into the map, I'm sure patterns will start to emerge! I like the idea of depopulated bald spots, although it might make people with alopecia universalis (total hair loss) feel left out.
Thanks for the feedback!

August 5, 2011 at 1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the hair is local to each state... So it has a point to it ;-)

August 10, 2011 at 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home